I got sidetracked with several other projects… I am waiting on an order of kapton tape to finish the plastruder. Either the tape was missing from the original kit or I lost it along the way. I’m going to give makerbot industries the benefit of the doubt on this one and call it my fault :)
Good news! I finally got my act together and busted out a good 8 hours of work last night. I finished the last stepper driver, finished up the x, y, and z stages, and put the whole assembly together. At long last, I give you, the Imperial March test :)
This weekend, I’ll finish the plastruder and hopefully get my first print.
I’m really close to finishing. Today, I will solder the last few bits onto my last stepper motor driver, attempt to get the firmware and some code onto the motherboard, and finish the plastruder assembly and x/z stages. Keep posted for photos and updates throughout the day. I need to clean up my work area a bit, so I will get started as soon as that’s done.
Over the last 2 weeks I’ve been slowly soldering away over a hot iron. All the electronics are finished except for the last stepper motor board, which I’ll probably finish tonight or tomorrow morning. I had problems burning the firmware to the motherboard, but I haven’t tried burning firmware to the extruder controller just yet so I’m not sure if thats an issue with my computer or the board itself. Also I’m missing 2 10-pin IDC headers for the stepper boards. This makes me sad, but I will push onward.
SMT soldering is REALLY awesome. I literally got to pan-fry my electronics as if I were cooking up some eggs for breakfast. XLNT.
Making progress at last! The kit arrived at my local post office on Thursday, so I’ve had a solid day to work on it. I skipped the electronics step and went straight to the build because I don’t own a hot plate for the surface-mount soldering.
Everything is looking good so far. The Z stage is installed and moving nicely, with the exception of one of the rod assemblies. Some friction is slowing down the rod and I can’t figure out where it’s coming from just yet. I’m going to put down the body assembly for now and go back to the electronics. I have an old frying pan at my apartment that should act as a decent heating element.
…there was a giant box of parts and doodads. The parts and doodads contained within that box would one day become - GeeBot!
So, I ordered my MakerBot from http://store.makerbot.com/ over the weekend. In a few short weeks, I will have all the bits and pieces here at my apartment and ready for assembly. It will probably take a couple weeks to complete the construction of the GeeBot, and I will document my progress here with photos and videos. Once the GeeBot is complete, I will continue posting my MakerBot hacks and creations on this site.